Monday, January 5, 2009

My First Day Back At Work.

Today was my first day back at work after 3 months of maternity leave. It was interesting to say the least. Where do I begin?

Christopher woke up at 4:30 for a bottle, but didn't really fall back asleep until almost 5:30 - you know, right when I have to get up. I managed to get myself up, showered, and hair done before 7am, when it was time to wake up both kids. I thought I was making good time.

Then 7am came. All hell broke loose and it was pure chaos from then until 8:15 when we had to be out the door. Poor Christopher was not a happy camper since he was woken up a good hour before he normally would have woken up. At first he was OK, but after about half an hour the screaming began, and I was trying to calm him down while trying to make sure Lauren's teeth were brushed, hair combed, etc. Crying baby = stress.

We managed to get out the door on time, thankfully. But of course, as soon as I pulled out of the driveway, I realized I'd forgotten to give Christopher his medication. Oops. Luckily I had time to come back home after dropping Lauren off. Once she was dropped off, I felt like I could relax, knowing that I had a good hour before I had to be at work. I gave Christopher his medication, and we made our way to daycare. Poor Christopher wasn't a happy boy. I'm glad I had time to sit with him, and I'm glad he was awake when we got there. I'd have felt bad if I left him in a new place without me, so he could wake up and be like "what the hell?" I was able to feed him, swaddle him and rock him to sleep before I left.

I got to work with plenty of time to spare (note to self - spend more time at daycare!). I got myself settled, which pretty much took all morning. They gave me a brand new computer, which would normally rock. But I focking HATE this thing. All the stuff I had saved on my old desktop - gone. I had to go track it all down and make new shortcuts. Stuff is still missing. Grr. It's a widescreen monitor and the resolution was too high or something - teeeeny tiny print I squinted at all day. It was after 3 before I finally figured out how to get it readable. And I HATE the newer version of MS Office running on this machine. Nothing is where it's supposed to be.

I called at noon to check on Christopher. He didn't nap much, which was to be expected since belly sleeping isn't allowed. He didn't eat all that much either, mainly because he fell asleep one ounce into his 2nd bottle. Overall I suppose it wasn't bad, and he doesn't seem mad at me for ditching him. He is the youngest in his class, there's only one other kid that's remotely close to him in age. All the others are walking one year olds!

Come home to find out that my very first foray into crockpot cooking was a complete bust. To quote Lauren, it smelled like skunk in here. I swear, I followed the directions exactly, but apparently the cooking time was off because the thing was Burnt. To. A. Crisp. 4 hours later and the house still reeks. And the stupid crockpot doesn't have a shutoff timer. Ick. Ellios pizza for one, please!

Let's hope the rest of the week goes better!


Jorie said...

Man, I'm tired just reading that!! I guess I shouldn't complain that my company hasn't upgraded from Office 2003. I hope you get a LOT of sleep tonight!!

Nicole said...

Oh Kelly. Hugs girlfriend!